Thursday, March 10, 2011

My 2011 NRL Wish List

Well, I’m back! Finally the football is too, it’s been a long four months since the Four Nations Final in November! As always a new season brings renewed hope with 15 sets of fans believing this is ‘our year’ while one group crows about going ‘back-to-back’ and defending their premiership. This season I’ve got a couple of things I’d love to see but I’m sure we’ll get another bumper year no matter who’s WINNING and losing.

Dragons on top

Every good television show, story or NRL Premiership season needs a team to hate – and if you’re not with them, the best team to hate is a team of winners. That’s exactly what the Dragons were last year, a side that would get in front and then just freaking stay there! I think it’s healthy for a competition to have a top dog everyone wants to knock over. It drives up viewers and gets people talking, so I hope the World Champions can maintain the rage in 2011.

A competitive Storm

I didn’t feel sorry for Melbourne last season. They cheated for four years or whatever it was. They cheated my team and me as a fan and I think they got exactly what they deserved. But now, in 2011, they’ve served their punishment and are fielding a legal football side again and I want them to do well.

We need a successful Melbourne Storm and let’s face it, the competition was strong when we all thought they were the (legal) team to beat. I’m not writing off any side that contains Slater, Smith and Cronk but injuries will really hurt the Storm. If they stay fit, they will make the Top Eight.

Nth Qld bound for glory

For the last two seasons at least, the North Queensland Cowboys have been a shit rugby league side. There’s no other way to say it, they were shit. It’s hard to find out why that was, but the results speak for themselves.

This year there are no excuses. They’ve brought very well – Tate, Johnson and Hall in particular. They’re tough, no-nonsense footballers who won’t tolerate the crap that’s happened in Townsville over the last few years. I would love to see a return of the entertainers but will gladly take winning Cowboys.

Canberra’s Evolution

Last year I picked the Raiders to make the top four. Then I wrote them off after 18 rounds because they were terrible. Then I jumped on their bandwagon because they were too damn good. Then during the finals I tweeted “No Campo, no chance. Sorry Canberra”.

Terry Campese is their main man but they won’t have him in 2011 after a serious knee injury. Yes he might play late in the year, but these things take 18 months to recover from (don’t believe me, ask Darren Lockyer). However Matt Orford could fill that void and by removing such a dominant force, it might open up guys like Dugan and Croker even further while elevating a play-maker like Josh McCrone. I want to back the Raiders all the way this season, please don’t let me down!

Personal Picks
Broncos to win the Premiership and Queensland to go six in a row – yes, Six Time Origin Champions! Not asking too much, is it?

My Top Eight
I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t give a prediction for the 2011 Finalists. I don’t have any formula or really any reasoning, this is just a list to laugh at in seven or eight months from now.

1. Dragons
2. Tigers
3. Bulldogs
4. Raiders
5. Broncos
6. Roosters
7. Cowboys
8. Storm

9. Panthers
10. Warriors
11. Knights
12. Rabbitohs
13. Titans
14. Eels
15. Sea Eagles
16. Sharks

TIPPING
Tips – Souths, Broncos, Warriors, Melbourne, Dragons, Raiders, Penrith, Tigers

There you go, first column of another big season. Hopefully I’m back next week with Queensland Teams on Tuesday and NRL Hits on Thursday. You can find me at http://keytonrlhits.blogspot,com, www.sportsaustralia.com, Twitter (@keyto316) or directly on email (andrew.keyte@gmail.com).

Enjoy the new season,
Keyto

No comments:

Post a Comment