Thursday, June 2, 2011

The enigmatic Michael Ennis

Here in Queensland, right now in the middle of State of Origin, Blues hooker Michael Ennis is Public Enemy number one. He’s taken the mantle from a cleaner captain Paul Gallen and Titans regular Greg Bird to be the most despised player on the field. Not just here, plenty of NRL fans (and players) from all clubs agree. But I like the cut of his jib and would hate to see him change.

The ‘Grub’

Thousands of NRL fans refer to Ennis as a ‘grub’ that bends the rules as much as possible, almost to the point of ‘cheating’. He sledges, he niggles, he taunts and he WINS. Sure he flies close to the wind but these are the tactics that made Michael Ennis an Origin player.

Yes it can backfire and sometimes he goes too far and gives away a penalty, but ultimately he is trying to gain his team an advantage. It’s not as if Ennis is going out head-hunting or eye gouging his opponents. He’s taunting them from close range and maybe stepping on a few fingers but this is professional sport and you have to do anything (legal) to gain an advantage.

His sledge on Parramatta’s Nathan Hindmarsh earlier in the season must have been world class. It was so good the normal unflappable Hindy changed direction and chased after Ennis to give him a pounding – school yard style! After the match Hindmarsh was professional enough to let it stay on the field and I heard him on Triple M shortly after saying he would have no problem catching up with Ennis for a beer once their careers are over.

‘New Shoes’

I’ve heard that a few of the Broncos used to call their former team mate ‘new shoes’ because he was uncomfortable to wear first up. I have no idea how popular or not Ennis was at my club but it is true he was best man at Corey Parker’s wedding. The two have since thrown down a couple of times on the field but I’m sure are still mates off it.

Wayne Bennett holds Ennis in high regard and in the NRL, there can’t be too many greater endorsements. He got Ennis to Brisbane and there were whispers that Ennis could link with Bennett at Newcastle next year.

While Ennis was here he had a couple of ordinary injuries and it wasn’t until his final season that we really saw the best of him. But off the field he was really good and often spotted at schools and hospitals or elsewhere in the community.

Off the field

When you see Michael Ennis doing his media work or any activity away from the on-field battles it’s not hard to tell he is a humble family man with a huge heart. So often it seems Ennis uses his profile to try and light up someone’s day or promote a good cause.

Shortly before the death of young Sam Faust it was Michael Ennis who became the face of a campaign to send Sam overseas for treatment. Ennis spoke so highly of his mate and tried all he could to raise some funds. No one at the Bulldogs or the NRL told Ennis he had to do this, it was his own work. Ennis used his profile to help his mate.

Ennis won me over earlier this year when he came to Queensland with the Bulldogs team to help with the flood clean up. Check this article out:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/tragic-day-ennis-broke-down-and-cried/story-e6frfgbo-1225992951563

I challenge anyone to read that and tell me Michael Ennis isn’t anything but a decent guy.

Not just footballers

Like every other NRL fan I have my favourites and the guys I can’t stand. For me there’s a big influence off the field. I know some guys like doing extra work and that’s fine – I’m not going to bag those we don’t see or don’t have the time to do it.

But any player who comes across as a decent person off the field is a winner to me. I’m not going to name any names but I have a group of players I have all the time in the world for and a list of guys I wouldn’t mind shipping off overseas and hope to never see again.

Human decency is still the biggest factor in footballers I cheer for and Michael Ennis is near the top of that list.

TIPPING
Tips – Dragons, Broncos, Titans, Manly, Warriors, Raiders, Storm, Tigers
Last Week – 5/7
Total – 56/88 (64%)

That’s it for the week; email (andrew.keyte@gmail.com), tweet (@keyto316) or comment me below.

Cheers,
Keyto

No comments:

Post a Comment