Thursday, September 15, 2011

Manly are Premiership Favourites ... and I like it!

While it’s not the same as the Collingwood thing in the AFL (whatever that is), for decades every NRL fan has grown up to hate Manly. Their own fans have a saying, transferred onto a banner, stating “Nobody likes us, we don’t care”. You know what, I don’t hate Manly. I think they are Premiership Favourites and if they make the Grand Final, I hope they win.

Where’s the hate?

I live in Brisbane so we’re shielded away from the Sydney media frenzy unless we go looking for it online. We only really hear from Sydney when a story has a Queensland relevance, unless of course it’s a major story. But a regular run-of-the-mill ‘we hate Manly’ yarn won’t get a run here.

I tend to base my support of other players or teams based on what I personally see on the field or what I can see of their personality. From my viewing this year, there’s nothing to hate about Manly.

The rookie halves are wonderfully talented and conduct themselves outstandingly well in the media also. There’s a big fat guy who represents all the big fat guys in Australia, and does it in style through hard work and good times. You’ve got a hit man lurking out wide and the return of one of the better fullbacks in the competition. Then there’s a guy called T-Rex crushing blokes and scoring tries.

Yes there are a few players I don’t really care for in that squad but overall, I think Manly as a football team is great to watch every week. Even more importantly, the last two months has shown me they are going to take a heck of a lot of beating.

Siege Mentality

I must confess, this is my favourite mentality. The “us against the world”, true underdog story is a good one every time. Manly manufacture it deluxe, almost like the Maroons I guess, but it works. The Sea Eagles whinge about home grounds and administration and match allocation but it assists in their results. For that I say good luck.

Jamie Lyon can grind the gears with his questioning of referees but he’s not the most annoying in the competition by a long way (that would be Kurt Gidley, for those playing at home).

Rival teams and fans should focus on the winning rather than whinging about Manly’s whinging.

NRL Finals

Last week Manly were ropeable they had to play their final with the Cowboys at the Sydney Football Stadium. I agree they deserved a home ground advantage and the 8:30pm time slot was a shocker, but EVERY club agreed to this last year – Big games at the big stadiums.

As far as Sydney goes, I think we might see a loophole allowing grounds like Brookvale Oval to be used in Week 1 against a non-Sydney club.

I’m really torn on this McIntyre Finals system after the weekend. For starters, we have probably got the best 6 teams left standing in the Premiership Race. The Cowboys were busted and Newcastle ... no offence, but we should have just played a Top 7 this year.

The games last weekend were shit.

Apart from the Tigers and Dragons match, the rest didn’t really feel like a Final. The Warriors got pumped, Manly always looked likely if they got one try and Melbourne were just foxing by not putting 40 points on.

Maybe it is time to go with the AFL system to give us closer matches and to create a bit more equality. Would it have been fair for the Tigers, who won, to have to play the Minor Premiers this week? Ask the Broncos 2009 team about that one.

TIPPING
Tips – Tigers, Broncos
Last Week – 3/4
Total –124/196 (63%)

You can share your thoughts on email (andrew.keyte@gmail.com), Twitter (@keyto316) or comment below.

Have a great week,
Keyto

No comments:

Post a Comment