Thursday, July 9, 2009

Blues, Poo's and Lyon

Good afternoon or evening or whenever you may be reading this; hope you are well. With the Ashes starting last night and continuing over the weekend it’s been a nice little distraction from the NRL while we build up to the Origin dead-rubber game in Brisbane. Queensland of course have won the series and will play for a whitewash while the Blues need to find some form of respect, where nothing short of a win will do. Today I’m going to look at Origin from a couple of different angles as I discuss the big issues from this week.

Finally, NSW pick the right team
Without a doubt, in my opinion, this is more like the team the Blues needed for Game I if they were to challenge Queensland. Unfortunately though in the grand scheme of things that all means nothing...the series is over and the Blues could win 30-0 but they can’t take the trophy from the Maroons. They have the right mix in this side with an experienced and form halfback in Kimmorley, exiting try-scorers in Jennings, Morris and Hayne plus some smart, tough and aggressive forwards in Perry, White, Poore and Waterhouse. Not to mention a man made for Origin, hooker Mick Ennis.

This is more like the team I would have had for Game I, except minus Barrett for a Campese or Wallace, and more like the team that can beat Queensland. I actually think the Blues are favourites for this match. They need the win more than Queensland and this, as I keep repeating, is an Origin team that can win.

Myles wiped out of Origin III
Everyone knows the story now surely about Nate Myles bender Sunday night on the Central Coast. For those that don’t, he basically had a big night, got locked out of his room, took a dump in a hotel corridor and was found in a fire escape. Bottom line: six week suspension and out of Origin III. But there’s a bigger issue here...WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG AT THE ROOSTERS? I honestly don’t have an answer to that.

Ten years ago, less probably, the Roosters were one of the cleanest, trouble-free clubs that rarely had an off-field incident worth talking about. Now they’ve had three in three weeks, including one involving the damn COACH, and they’re $50,000 poorer, losing sponsors and losing all credibility. They need to ask some serious questions at that club to find the problems and deliver some answers. I’m not a Roosters fan but at the moment they are an embarrassment to the game.

Back onto Myles, his suspension adds to the list of Maroon ‘unavailables’ for Origin III. Of course big Petero Civoniceva headlines the list along with Folau and Hannant. They are all big losses but it does provide an opportunity for some fringe guys to come in, play at Suncorp in front of a packed house, in a low-pressure (by Origin standards) contest. Matt Scott, Neville Costigan and Dave Shillington are all good selections and deserve their opportunities. Re-calling a fully fit Hodges was a no-bainer but Willie Tonga may be found out on the wing marking Jarryd Hayne. We’ll find out soon enough I guess.

Jamie Lyon
The guy that didn’t want to play rep footy is in the news again today for the wrong reasons. He was ruled out of Origin III on Tuesday morning with an ankle injury but now looks likely to be fit to play for Manly on Sunday, three days BEFORE the Blues play. I have to be clear here in saying it was the Blues doctor who ruled Lyon out when he did...Jamie from what I have read had no real say in the decision. If it was any other player I would be against them playing this weekend but in Lyon’s situation I am like him, I just don’t care. Lyon made it clear early this year he didn’t really care about playing rep footy or not...he requested to be exempt and when that was denied, basically said he would play if picked.

And that’s where the Blues miss the boat on the passion surrounding Origin football. No Queensland would EVER say don’t pick me for Origin (unless obviously they had a good career and retired from rep footy). And I could also guarantee that if a player did say they weren’t interested, selectors wouldn’t give it another thought and would find someone who was.

In this case I don’t really blame Lyon, the decision was made by the doctors and management. Maybe it’s for the NRL to make a rule preventing this kind of thing...I don’t know. In my opinion Lyon will play for Manly this weekend but won’t play for the Blues again, whether he’s available or not.

Tips this week: Souths, Newcastle, Warriors, Manly, Titans
Last week: 6/8 (Total: 73/120)
Winning percentage: 61%

I’m off to Origin III next week and can’t wait! Would love to see the Maroon-wash but I have a feeling Noddy and co. might conjure up a Blues win by about 10 points. Anyway, as a Queenslander I won’t really care. I’m going to celebrate a fourth straight series win! Hit me up at andrew.keyte@gmail.com or comment below if you have anything to share.

Go the Maroons,
Keyto

No comments:

Post a Comment