Thursday, July 30, 2009

Karmichael Hunt

I am glad this story broke yesterday because I didn’t really have much to write about this week! Hello everyone and welcome to my take on the Karmichael Hunt defection to AFL...I figure everyone else is talking about it so why not me! I will open up by saying I am more surprised than disappointed, even now some 24 hours later I am not that disappointed to be honest.

I am a Karmichael fan, he plays for my club, and obviously my first preference would be for him to remain at the Broncos followed by him staying with rugby league. But nope, K pretty much shocked everyone with his announcement yesterday.

I had the TV on Fox Sports News yesterday morning and was only half-listening when I heard Hunt was expected to sign with the Gold Coast AFL club...WTF?? I did a little googling and read the report myself...news that breaks in this fashion is RARELY wrong, particularly when a “major announcement” is promoted for later in the day. I knew it was coming, but it was still a surprise. AFL, really?

I had never thought of AFL as a threat to rugby league especially up here in Brisbane; down south in Storm territory maybe, but not up here. Plus the rumours of Karmichael defecting to overseas rugby, or even the Dragons, had lead me to believe that’s what we would be reading about before the end of the season. So I guess we have to throw out a ‘well played’ to all involved on keeping this secret.

Am I disappointed in Karmichael Hunt like quite a few other fans, particularly up here...? No, I don’t think I am. Partly because we all knew this sort of announcement was coming, it’s been obvious for months through the papers and speculation that it was highly unlikely Hunt would be with the Broncos next year. I think a lot of people had probably accepted that and moved on. Just, we were all surprised at him playing AFL!!

I’m certainly not going to bag him for his decision. He’s only 22 years old, accomplished absolutely everything in rugby league and needs a change. Hunt is one of the most scrutinised players in Brisbane, particularly in the last 12 months, and I think it has shown on the field. At times he has looked tired...and at just 22 years of age and five full years in the NRL, who could blame him?

There’s people saying he defected for money and all that but K has said he wants the challenge. Who could bag him for that? His athletic ability is his main source of income and with only a maximum of 15 years to earn that big money, I couldn’t blame him even if it was for money. The man is off contract and wants a change. Who of us didn’t change jobs multiple times before 22 years of age? I’m not going to bag Karmichael Hunt or call him a traitor or anything...I hope he does really well in AFL because they could use a star athlete like him.

I’ve also had some people comment to me about the NRL scrapping salary caps and letting players earn as much as they want etc. I don’t know about that either...we were saying that when Sailor, Tuqiri and the others all defected but the game survived. And any scrapping of the salary cap will create a “haves” and a “have-nots” situation which will make for a sub-standard competition.

Yes it’s shit that we’ve lost a Karmichael Hunt but it opens up an opportunity for someone else. And the door remains open at the Broncos...there’s nothing to say that in three or five years he could come back an even better player. So good luck Karmichael...I won’t be cheering you (because I don’t really like your new code), but I wish you the very best!


Tips this week: Titans, Dragons, Brisbane, Penrith, Newcastle, Cronulla, Bulldogs, Manly
Last week: 2/8(Total: 81/140)
Winning percentage: 58%

Hopefully I can have a better week with the tips! If you have any thoughts on Karmichael Hunt or anything else please email me at andrew.keyte@gmail.com, use the feedback below or you can find me on Facebook.

Cheers,
Keyto

No comments:

Post a Comment