Thursday, July 16, 2009

Oh to be a 'Queenslandah'

Hello everyone from a somewhat sleep deprived yet proud Queenslander! I was part of the 52,439 strong at the game last night and even though the Maroons went down, it was a heck of a night! First off, congratulations to the New South Wales Blues on a good win. They were by far the better side last night and I thought their captain Kurt Gidley was outstanding.

The talking point of course was the “thuggery” in the final couple of minutes. I wouldn’t call it thuggery, the NSW media has, but I wouldn’t. It was Origin football, Queensland spirit and sticking up for your mates. For me, someone who has been to I think four Origin games, the minutes following the Price hit was my Origin Moment. Let me take you through things the way it unfolded from my point of view and that of the other Queenslanders sitting in the bottom tier of the Southern Stand.

In the second half the Blues were running away from us and I had my eyes on the Jarryd Hayne try but could see Price and White in the corner of my eye. Very soon all eyes were on this stoush then this is all we could see: A NSW jersey come flying in from the side resulting in a Queensland player on the deck and shortly the medi-cab.

The Stadium only showed one inconclusive replay before (wisely) playing the ‘Do Not enter the field warning’. But the problem was 52,000 Queenslanders believe they saw one of the cheapest shots in Origin history with a Maroon hero blind-sided by a king hit. That’s when everyone saw Justin Hodges.

I’m not the biggest Hodges fan in the world...great player, but also a bit of a wanker. And that’s been highlighted this year playing next to Israel Folau. Two talented superstars, one who plays with niggle and one who doesn’t. But last night watching Hodges challenging the Blues players and firing up his team-mates to me just highlighted the mateship, pride and passion Queensland has. He was defending his mate; who remember after just one replay everyone thought was king hit by Waterhouse.

Then Waterhouse was sent off seemingly confirming a blindside king hit, something considered a dog act in rugby league. Queensland got the penalty, they’re running towards us, and everyone in the crowd knew it was going to be on. You could see Hodges firing the boys up, setting a plan, and leading the way! It was awesome!!

The bomb went up and the crowd stood as one...we wanted revenge and we didn’t care which Blue jersey it was on! Sure enough Gidley, who I must admire for his bravery all game and in taking that bomb knowing full well he was going to get belted for no fault of his own (other than his jersey!), caught the ball and was met by four or five Maroons. Hodges was there, Costigan too and the other usual suspects. It was back on, a scuffle really, but it was on. Old school Origin football!!

Ben Creagh was put in the bin for the Blues and he got re-sounding boos by the packed stadium. Then Sam Thaiday got called out and binned too. The Queenslanders were still fired up, Hodges gave him the high-fives and a hug while the entire Queensland contingent gave Thaiday a standing ovation. 52,000 Queenslanders applauding and cheering a man who had been removed from the field...it was cool!! I heard later Ray Warren said something like, “This crowd is going berserk”, and we were!!

There were “Queenslandah” chants going well after the final siren and even though beaten on the scoreboard, every Maroon fan seemed proud to wear the jersey. And that’s what it means to be a Queenslander. There is so much passion and pride there, I personally haven’t been prouder of Hodges for the way he was sticking up for his mate and leading the fight back at the Blues.

The atmosphere at the end of the night was something pretty special and I highly recommend any Queensland fan who has never done an Origin at Suncorp Stadium to save up and go next year. It is something you can’t really describe; you just have to try it!!

I read the Daily Telegraph website regularly and they are describing it all as thuggery etc. It wasn’t that bad...you’d think there were stiff arms and eye gouges the way these blokes are writing. One guy, in what was meant to be an objective article, called Hodges an ‘A-grade tool’. I haven’t been studying journalism that long but I’m pretty sure you can’t write that in your major paper.

If we’re calling people names and tags what about Brett White?? The bloke has a reputation as a thug and an animal...don’t believe me? Ask Ben Ross (Rd 2, 2008 Storm v Sharks). There’s also been talk of what would mummy and little Johnny think about the Maroons last night?

Well, too often we pander to mummy and Little Johnny. Last night was what built Origin football...passion and playing for your mates. As Queenslanders we expect nothing less. Bring on 2010 and FIVE IN A ROW!!

*******
And another thing...what the heck is with Channel Nine not showing tomorrow night’s Double Header live?? I hope this changes between now and then but my word Channel Nine it’s poor form. The games are sold out so there is no way to see them live unless you have a ticket...it’s bullshit. I hope ACA is a real ratings winner and they fork out a cracker of a Two and a half Men episode. I will be tuning in to ABC radio.

Tips this week: Broncos, Titans, Panthers, Manly, Roosters, Tigers, Storm
Last week: 3/5 (Total: 76/125)
Winning percentage: 61%

As always you can reach me personally at andrew.keyte@gmail.com or comment below. Hit me up on Facebook too at any time.

Cheers,
Keyto

1 comment:

  1. I thought Hodges was calling out Justin Poore for lifing Price up by the collar while he was lying there unconsious and then dropping his back on the ground.

    Pretty low and disgusting act. I hope they smash him next year.

    ReplyDelete