Thursday, September 9, 2010

How the rest can beat the best

One thing all NRL fans agree upon is the St George-Illawarra Dragons are THE team to beat in season 2010. From Round One they have been the pace setters and league leaders and it’s been up to the 15 other teams to find a way to knock them off. The Dragons are well deserved Premiership favourites in my eyes, but what’s it going to take from the other seven clubs standing to knock the Dragons off?

West Tigers

These guys are the best bet to beat Saints in my opinion. We know about their attack, but in the back half of the season Wests defence has been very good too. They’ve held some pretty good sides like the Titans, Storm, Panthers and Canberra to three tries or less over the last few months. I think the Tigers have a real shot at taking this title.

Penrith Panthers

I love watching this side play because, as I’ve said, they’re a real throw back club with a team of footballers rather than athletes. I like the mix of youth and experience and all they need is belief. Their attack outscores the Dragons, but the defence will win Penrith the game.

Gold Coast Titans

The experience at this club and their ‘never-say-die’ attitude is the Titans greatest asset. They’ve beaten the Dragons before and will get in an arm wrestle. Gold Coast won’t blow the Dragons away, but if they hang tough it will come down to someone producing a match winning play.

Warriors

These guys are still a relatively unknown to me. I don’t know if they can beat the Dragons, but I’d love to see them try. The Warriors would have to play to their strengths but whether they have the creativity to break down the Dragons remains to be seen.

Sydney Roosters

When they get their attack firing the Roosters worry everyone. The Dragons don’t panic though and would probably win another arm wrestle. The Roosters would really need to aim up and try and bully their way to a win – I’m not certain they have that in them yet.

Canberra Raiders

Well, these are the guys who know how to beat the Dragons – they’ve been doing it for 10 years. Canberra play that ‘in-your-face’ style against the Dragons and for the Raiders, it works. Canberra would need to bring the aggression, fight to the death and use their big men to intimidate before the backs do their sparkling things.

Manly Sea Eagles

Unfortunately, this is the one side I don’t think can beat the Dragons. Manly just don’t have the troops, their form has been mixed all year and they’re on wobbly legs. The Eagles have a one in ten shot on Sunday, and I can’t see it coming off.

The Dragons – 2010 success beckons?

So far I have seen nothing to suggest the Dragons won’t be there challenging for the title. They look near the top of their game and ready to peak. I think there are a few teams capable of beating the Dragons, but in this season I don’t see it happening.

However, this is the NRL and we’ve seen so many wonderful things happen this year already!

TIPPING
Tips – Titans, Tigers, Panthers, Dragons
Last Week – 5/8
Total – 107/192 (56%)

To share your thoughts please email me (andrew.keyte@gmail.com), tweet me (@keyto316) or comment below.

Enjoy the Finals,
Keyto

No comments:

Post a Comment