Thursday, September 16, 2010

So, what have we learnt?

Saturday night I sat at home and watched an epic battle at the Sydney Football Stadium followed by a very entertaining dual at Penrith. I had nothing on either game, my team is gone and I wasn’t on the punt, so I didn’t care who won. That’s probably why last Saturday night was the best fun I’ve had in football for a long time. There are six teams remaining now and the title picture is a little clearer.

The teams to beat

One thing is abundantly clear – the Dragons are the team to beat this season. They took care of Manly easily. Yes it was a tad boring but nothing was going to beat the fun of Saturday night. As Wayne Bennett said though, they got the job done. They did it the same way they’ve done all year – a slow, methodical strangulation. The only concern I have about the Dragons is their ability to chase 10 or 12 points, but the challenge for the opposition is building that lead.

The Gold Coast Titans were very professional in their win last week and will be well rested for a final tilt come next weekend. I don’t want to see a Titans/Dragons Grand Final because it could be a real grind of a match – but I think this is the match up we’re headed for. The Titans this year have proven they can match Saints so their fate really does rest in their own hands.

Canberra Raiders are my favourite team to watch at the moment. Two months ago they had an aging winger playing halfback and the Raiders were shot ducks, another year of what could have been. But since picking a genuine halfback (what were they thinking earlier?) has turned their season. The only thing that will stop Canberra is themselves – mentally they have to deal with the fact they would have won 9 in a row to take the GF. I think they can do it, heck I would love to see them do it.

Wobbly boots

I’m worried about the Panthers. I have been on them all season but now I don’t think they will beat the Roosters next week. There’s just something missing and I’m not sure what. I don’t think it’s creativity, maybe a bit of mental toughness or even self belief. This is coupled now with some big injuries and the wheels might be about to fall off. I love the Panthers so I hope I’m wrong.

As much as I hate to say this but Wests Tigers might be busted. They too have had big injuries at the wrong time of the year and mentally it’s going to be very hard to back up from what happened last week. I think they lost that game the moment (53rd minute) Farah snapped a field goal to take the score to 15-8 I think. We could argue the bad refereeing decisions all week long but the fact is Wests are one loss away from death and they are facing the hottest team in the comp this weekend. I love both the Tigers and Raiders so I’m just going to sit back and enjoy a great game Friday night.

The great unknown

As has been the case all season, I have absolutely no idea about the Roosters. They weren’t in the contest for a long time against the Tigers and then just turned it on. That’s a good quality to have in any side and I think the Chooks can beat anyone on their day. They’ve got a good football team built around the workers Myles and Anasta, the impact of Frank-Paul and Waerea-Hargreaves, the elusiveness and power of SKD plus the freakish Carney. Honestly, I just don’t know if they can beat the Panthers, then beat the Titans, then win the comp – but they’ve certainly got the ability.

TIPPING
Tips – Raiders, Roosters
Last Week – 2/4
Total – 109/196 (56%)

That’s it for this week, any thoughts please share them on email (andrew.keyte@gmail.com), Twitter (@keyto316) or below. I am away on holidays from Saturday and will return in Grand Final week for some sort of 2010 review.

Cheers,
Keyto

No comments:

Post a Comment